Saturday, December 22, 2012

DIY felt Christmas tree

Y'all, this little project is so easy.  I did it all during one of Pearson's naps!!

I made the template for tracing the Christmas Tree with wrapping paper that had grid lines.  It made it really easy to make a symmetrical tree. 
 You can see a little better in the picture below how I made the template. 
A while back my Grandma found a large Craps table cover for a great price at a garage sale and bought it because it looked like a nice big piece of felt. It had been sitting at my Mom's house waiting to be used for a fun little project.  Instead of buying a large piece of felt, I used this!!  If you have to buy your felt, I'm sure you could find a large piece of felt in the fabric section of Hobby Lobby or at Hancock's or JoAnne's. 
 I bought all of the ornament and present felt pieces at Hobby Lobby.  They were 4/$1.00 except the Houndstooth was 2/$1. I used 2 red, 2 green, 1 yellow, 1 white, and 2 houndstooth.  I traced the ornaments with a little circle tupperware and I googled "star clip-art" and "christmas light clip-art" to printed a picture off the internet to use as my template for the star and lights. 
I used these Command Velcro strips to hand it on the wall. 
 I put our little tree underneath our bar next to our real Christmas tree.  I absolutely love how it turned out!! I originally wanted to make this felt Christmas tree because I thought my busy 18 month old was going to be all over our real Christmas tree.  I thought this would help distract him by giving him his own little tree.  
Oddly enough, he could really care less about our Christmas tree.  He has a pretty good time decorating and un-decorating his little felt Christmas tree though. I think Pearson will look forward to playing with his special Christmas toys each year, especially this one!!
 Although he has a pretty good time playing with his little people toys too.  
Tonight Mary was the train conductor, taking a wise man, the angel and Baby Jesus for a ride!
 
Baby Jesus wanted a turn to drive too.
After his train ride, Pearson returned Baby Jesus to the stable.


Remember Jesus is the Reason for the Season!!

2 comments:

Allie said...

Aww!!! How cute!!!

Erin and Ryan said...

I just found your blog and am working on my own felt tree for my 2 little boys! I hope it looks as good as yours :)